[DeTomaso] Seats - don't make my mistake

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 19:36:02 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/25/12 16 26 5, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> I took my almost 40 year old seats to the upholstery shop.  The seat
> covers are still in good shape, but the seat foam had turned to dust.  So, I had
> them re-foam the insides of the seats.  They did nothing to the seat
> covers
> I just put them back into the car and I cannot sit in the seats.  The new
> foam added too much heighth in the seat and too much depth in the back.  My
> head leans way over for me to sit in the seat.  I have to take them back
> and explain what the problem is and hope they can correct the problem.
> How will I know how much foam the seats should have, or how much for them
> to take out.    Thanks, Bill Lewis

Bill,

The thing to have done would have been to buy ready-made Pantera seat foam,
which is easily had from SACC Restorations, and some of the Pantera
vendors.   Then it becomes a no-brainer.

You're already screwed, unfortunately.   So now you just have to guess.

Pantera seats have thin foam for a reason.   The '71 seats are thinner than
most and have horsehair inside which breaks down, so that you wind up
literally sitting on the carpet.   Max headroom, min comfort.   The '72 and later
seats used normal foam, of differing thickness (the later seats had thicker
seat foam which raised the driver's head which in turn meant that the wiper
no longer cleared enough of the area in front of the DOT test dummy's face
which is why the late '73 and '74 Panteras had the wipers re-jiggered to
park on the opposite side....)

You get to choose how much foam you want.   At least you know what you
DON'T want; now you can have them try again.   The smart move now is to have
them sculpt the foam but NOT cover them; try them out and have them do it as
many times as necessary until you're happy, then cover them.