[DeTomaso] POCA Fun Rally - NorCal & Northern Nevada Panteratransport to event

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 23 10:26:37 EST 2012

My Pantera was my only car for several years.  I had a 97 Mustang Cobra that
I sold because I wasn't driving it.  Little did I know that the day after I
sold the Mustang, the timing chain would jump on the Pantera.

I drove my Pantera to work every day, and I later used it to commute to
Dallas when my job moved (220 miles each way).  It was only 3 hours each
way, but it was every week for 5 years.

My longest trip was from Houston to Little Rock, or perhaps Houston to Big
Bend, TX (twice).  I don't know which is further.

The only negative was the car breaking down.  The wheel bearings went out in
Little Rock, the fuel filter plugged - twice before I figured it out, the
shear pin sheared (twice - once when the mech advance in the old Mallory
distributor came apart, and again when the oil pump sucked up timing chain
plastic), the gas tank mysteriously emptied, the starter flange cracked (not
stranded, just had to push start), the Mallory ignition box fried, it
dropped a valve, the timing chain jumped, a "rigged" wire popped off the
electric choke, and it shorted to the dash stranding me, and it threw a rod.
I think that's it.  That isn't a good record.  I never drove the car without
a cell phone.

On the other hand, it has been comfortable, fun to drive, and generally
makes me a happier person when I arrive at my destination.  It didn't matter
how terrible my work day had been, I was always happy when I got home.

It has been off the road for about 2 years now.  It has pretty paint, and
basically new everything.  I only have a few things left, and it is back on
the road.  I just need to get the time to finish it.