[DeTomaso] Question regarding 180 headers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 02:08:13 EST 2012

There are at least three different 180 header systems around and they are
all constructed a little differently. I think Hall sold two different types
alone. One set I worked on during an engine change had an individual tube
mounted on both heads (the other three were on common flanges) and there was a
definite order that one was supposed to follow in assembly. I managed to get
all but 3 bolts on the entire set tightened from the top, after adding and
removing one of the individual pipes (from the top) a couple of times. Are
these new or used, and who built them?

Obviously, no one had the instruction sheet and dunno whose headers these
were; the owner bought the car with the tubes mounted & was clueless. To
answer your question, as I remember there was no interference with the tanks or
the gas tank shield, but some pipes interfered with each other if done out
of sequence. This is one installation you definitely do not want to be in a
hurry assembling! And absolutely forget about changing plugs on a hot engine!
Don't forget the mandatory decklid heat shield. Good luck- J Deryke