[DeTomaso] Tire Sizes

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:45:10 EST 2012

   345/35-15s were the original tire for GT5 cars. The first widebody or flared cars, Gp4s,  used a much taller tire.
I don't recall the exact size but it was around 27" tall.  The GT5 and Gp4 flares have completely different profiles.
The GT5 flares have a flatter square-ish opening compared to the rounder Gp4 opening and thus look different
with the same tire.  I think the 345s look too small on a Gp4 car.  On a related subject, you should have the tires
and wheels on the car before you mount the flares if your considering that.  You can center the flare around the
tire, but you cant center the tire in the flare!  Anyway...
   I'm thinking of using American Racer Asphalt Sprint Car tires.  That's a pretty brutal race series and it seems
that a tire which can deal with those conditions will be ok for my uses.  Roger Kraus tires can put just about any
tread pattern you want on them, modern or vintage.  They have 3 sizes with 13.5" tread widths in diameters from
25.5" to 26.7".  These are for 13" to 15" wide wheels.  They also have a 23.8" tall tire with a 10" wide tread width
for 9" to 10" wide wheels.  These seem about right (perfect) for a flared Pantera.  Prices range from $123 to $162
each.
    I know a few people running Goodyear and Hoosier race tires around here with no problems.  Those tires are
treaded or treaded slicks.  You just have to be a little more careful than usual I guess,  but I have to say the street and
highways around San Antonio are very good compared to other places.  Hitting some object could happen anywhere.
These tires are not legal for road use for what thats worth.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Michael Frazier
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa