[DeTomaso] Steel vs aluminum flywheel

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 13:50:11 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/7/12 21 18 39, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>    I have a new McLeod steel flywheel (which I think had a removable 28
> oz balance wt), and a new Hays aluminum internal balance flywheel.  One will
> hopefully eventually go into a twin turbo street motor, looking for about
> 800 FWHP and using 3.2 gears.  I was thinking that the steel flywheel would
> be more forgiving with these gears, although when I ran a Dynomation
> simulation, my motor would have twice the torque at 1,000 RPM of a normally
> aspirated engine with a big cam and carb due to the cam the turbos like, so I
> think either flywheel will work well on the street.
>
>     Any thoughts on this?

Plan on buying clutches on a routine basis--not because of the excessive
power, but rather because of the excessively tall gears.   You'll need to slip
the clutch all the time when leaving a standing start.   I know--I drove a
3.2-equipped Pantera and it was miserable--even when fitted with 24-inch GT5
tires in the rear (which turns a 3.77 into a 4.22, effectively).

He had an aluminum flywheel too, which is what necessitated all the clutch
slipping.   You'd be much better off with a steel one, and I don't think
you'd suffer any measurable negative effects since you'll have the turbos to
overcome any resistance to rotation. :>)