[DeTomaso] Steel vs aluminum flywheel

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 00:18:14 EST 2012

Guys,

   I have a new McLeod steel flywheel (which I think had a removable 28 oz balance wt), and a new Hays aluminum internal balance flywheel.  One will hopefully eventually go into a twin turbo street motor, looking for about 800 FWHP and using 3.2 gears.  I was thinking that the steel flywheel would be more forgiving with these gears, although when I ran a Dynomation simulation, my motor would have twice the torque at 1,000 RPM of a normally aspirated engine with a big cam and carb due to the cam the turbos like, so I think either flywheel will work well on the street.

    Any thoughts on this?

Ken