[DeTomaso] coolant bypass

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:02:20 EST 2012

Justin,

If you're happy with your car, then stick with it!

I wasn't.

Since the tank is on the high pressure side of the water pump, I was running a 24lb cap on it and it would still puke coolant when I backed off the throttle at 7200rpm.
It would run kinda' OK in 100F+ temperatures, even with a nice new Pantera Performance aluminum radiator. Kinda' OK wasn't acceptable.

After changing the system to a remote thermostat and moving the tank to the low pressure side, using the Mike Trusty/John Taphorn modification whatever you want to call it, I have none of those problems.

Note that these changes make a Pantera cooling system act just like any modern car's cooling system.

Works for me. If what you have works for you, then I'd recommend leaving it.

Regards,
Kirby