[DeTomaso] Coolant Bypass

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Wed Feb 1 18:23:01 EST 2012

There has been a lot of discussion on the coolant bypass. I still don't
know exactly which BMW valve is worth using.

I bought one of the aftermarket made bypass's. It was very well made;
beautiful in fact; but there was an issue. When the thermostat opened
there was nothing to cut off the the bypass. I don't know if it mattered
but I think the bypass should be closed when the thermostat opens.

I also had concerns that a single thermostat may have flow issues. On the
GMC 702's my brother builds the stock thermostat housing holds 3
thermostats.

So I thought why not use 2. So I built this. One thermostat is built to
close off the bypass port when open:

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/bypas/byp1.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/bypas/byp3.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/bypas/byp4.jpg