[DeTomaso] Advice

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 11:39:02 EST 2012

I've not heard of them but the fact they are a U.S.based engine build
advertising on Ebay UK would give me pause.  Also, they list the factory
Ford crankshaft at 28.5 oz which is incorrect (it's 28.2 oz-in) and
they state "We only use hand picked seasoned 351 blocks from 1972. We
have found these blocks to be superior in strength to newer model blocks."
351C blocks were only produced from 1970 to 1974 in the United States with
only minor differences and the 1972 D2 casting code was also used on the
1973 and 1974 blocks so their statement is non-sense.  Also, they use
Edelbrock 351C-2V heads.  The TFS 351C-2V heads are slightly less expensive,
make better power, have better spring options and have several chamber sizes
available.  They also state the engine is "test run to break in the camshaft"
but the cam listed is a hydraulic roller which requires no break in.  They
quote a HP figure but dyno testing does not appear to be included (engine is
shown on a run stand, not a dyno).  The big cap distributor probably won't
clear a Pantera.

You might consider Dave McLain.  He's a local (to me near St. Louis, Missouri)
engine builder that I work with on the 351C dyno project.  He's built and dyno
tested a bunch of Clevelands (in stock displacements as well as 393, 403, 408,
410 and 425 cubic inch displacements) and he's a former Engine Masters
competitor
with both 351 Cleveland and big block Ford V8 entries.  Together,
we've measured,
flow-benched and dyno tested a wide variety of Cleveland parts including heads,
intakes, cams, exhaust systems, etc.  This information is used in
Dynomation and
PipeMax software pakages to optimize the engine prior to the build.
We also have
a huge variety of Cleveland parts on hand to test as needed.  Plus we
understand
the Pantera specific Cleveland issues and I work with the customer to spec the
parts and develop custom cams that best suit the application.

Dan Jones