[DeTomaso] Arm Rest Removal Problem

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 20 22:32:06 EST 2012

The other technique that hasn't been mentioned yet is to use a high speed
die grinder and some patience to gnaw the head off the screw. A small air
pencil grinder that turns 20-30,000 RPM might work best, but you could try a
standard type if you can find a tool that can get in there. The anchor is
very unlikely to follow the RPM of the grinder, so light pressure and a
steady, slow process should get the job done.

All "vendor" parts are not equal. I figure I've experienced a 50% throw-away
rate.

Barry

----

In a message dated 12/20/12 16 43 34, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> Heck, better yet. Just glue the correct size screwdriver to the #@%$&*
> screw.  If you can get
> your tool (CALLING Larry in Cleveland) to engage the phillips head you
> will put much less
> strain on the glued joint as you twist and pull.
>

>>>My understanding is that the screw spins freely, because the thing into
which it is screwed is spinning freely.   So there's no good way of dealing
with it other than to cut it in some fashion.   Tomas' suggestion of
drilling the head off is brilliant, I think.   But failing that, it will
have to be
cut between the panel and the armrest.