[DeTomaso] Arm Rest Removal Problem

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 19:43:21 EST 2012

Jeff,

LAST on your list of ideas could be this one.   ;-)

Decades ago I had a Ford 9" axle break off right at the hub. Nothing to grab onto
to remove the axle.

Miller arc welder to the rescue. I grabbed my biggest welding rod, grounded the chassis,
and burned that rod into the broken end of the axle.  Let cool...pull...done.

Like I said, this method is not a grand idea in a car's interior.

Using a similar method of attack, perhaps you could fashion a good 'T-handle' from tubing
or heavy wire ( or an old hex key) and glue it to the armrest screw?

Heck, better yet. Just glue the correct size screwdriver to the #@%$&* screw.  If you can get
your tool (CALLING Larry in Cleveland) to engage the phillips head you will put much less
strain on the glued joint as you twist and pull.

 JB Weld?

To keep the adhesive where you want it, perhaps use a 'shield' of some tubing, perhaps
clear PVC?

To protect the upholstery if welding, perhaps use a 'shield' of a brass tube?

Good luck.

Larry