[DeTomaso] Arm Rest Removal Problem

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Thu Dec 20 14:00:40 EST 2012

Any way to feed a long thin pry-bar between the door and panel from the
side or bottom to keep pressure on the screw mount and possibly allow it to
stay still as you turn the screw?

If you can at least drill a smaller diameter pilot hole using the tube
approach, it will keep the larger bit centered as you drill the head away
which may minimize damage.  A less elegant approach would be to wrap all
but the tip of the drill bit in electrical tape to minimize damage.

Once you get it off, consider permanently attaching the arm rest to the
door panel from the back side and using modern-day plastic door clips to
hold the panel in place.  When I redid my interior, I got rid of all door
and pillar screws for a clean look. I probably went overboard on the number
of clips, but the fit is tight and has never come loose closing the door.

Rob