[DeTomaso] Arm Rest Removal Problem

Jeff Udelson jefude at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 13:35:09 EST 2012

"If
you push a short metal tube in the armrest hole you may be able to
drill
away the screw head without damaging the armrest."

"The
tube will protect the armrest, but it will not keep the screw
 and threaded insert from turning when
drilling.
If the tube ID was slightly smaller than the screw head, it
(the tube) could be driven over the screw head
and then held with vise grips while drilling that might work."

John,this was my concern also. The Phillips head bolt needs to be locked
to even have a chance for the head to be drilled off. However as the
drill bit begins to remove the head of the bolt it is probably going
to break loose and spin. It looks like it is going to be a major PIA.

have 2 of the four fasteners with this problem. And am disappointed in the poor
design over the original nylon fastener. The threaded sleeve should have been
tack welded (instead of press fitted) to avoid this problem. Hopefully when I
am able to get these removed a vendor has the original nylon type for me to
use.

Thanks
to all for your suggestions.
Jeff