[DeTomaso] Engine Mounts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 23:01:50 EST 2012

In a message dated 12/17/12 16 04 22, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> The rubber mounts? (Available from any Pantera vendor)
> Or the castings? (Probably available from any Pantera vendor)
>

>>>I'm assuming you're talking about the 'rubber' mounts.   Note that not
all mounts are created equally.   Hall Pantera sells polyurethane mounts,
which look pretty because they can be had in different colors.   However, they
are incapable of sustaining the heat that the engine and exhaust produce,
and then they melt and turn to goo and your motor isn't mounted properly
anymore.

I am surprised that they are still listed on their website, given their
known history of failure.   I think they are primarily intended for show cars,
as they are (or at least used to be) available in a variety of different
colors.   Their website only shows them in black at the moment:

http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&
item=56417

I myself bought a set of rubber mounts for my engine, and wound up paying
almost double from one vendor, versus what I found another vendor selling
them for elsewhere.   So it pays to shop around.

Wilkinson's website is a little bit screwed up.   The photos don't always
match up with the description of the parts, and this one is no exception.
If you look on this page:

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill14c.html

The parts in question are both labelled #8.   However, when you select #8,
you get the written description and price for the proper part, but a photo
of part #4.   It's a glitch.

Presuming that you can salvage your existing spacer sleeves, all you need
is four of these $20 rubber donuts. $80 total.

Precision Proformance advertises the same ones for $150 for the set of
four.

Hall Pantera sells them for $120 for the set of four:

http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&
item=22066

I don't know what the other vendors charge, but as you can see, there is
much wider variance with this particular part, than with most other Pantera
parts.   Precision Proformance and Hall Pantera make no mention of the metal
sleeve being included, but if they were including a pair of new sleeves with
their mounts, that would justify their higher price (Wilkinson charges
almost $20 each for the sleeves).   That is, if you needed new sleeves.
Normally the sleeves are rusted and corroded but it is a fairly simple matter to
clean them up and reuse them.

Cheers!