[DeTomaso] Cable Shifter

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:29:39 EDT 2012

Yes, you're right about stronger steel being stronger but it still isn't stiffer.  The modulus of elasticity is a measure of the deflection rate of a material given a load.  The modulus of elasticity of most steels is around 28,500 ksi to 29,000 ksi, including chro-moly.  The 270 ksi high-strength prestressing steel strands I specify for some concrete structures have a modulus of 28,000 ksi which is less than 50 ksi mild steel!

I know there are many engineers here so I won't go much further.  Stronger steel is just that- stronger.  It isn't stiffer.  Carbon fiber is used for weight savings since it can be woven with layups that promote stiffness or other properties.  For example, the Hubble telescope uses special carbon fiber struts that are specially woven so that they don't contract or elongate when temperatures swing wildly.

I think the way to make the shift rods stiffer is to increase their diameter.

Corey