[DeTomaso] Re Cable Shifter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 14:53:34 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/31/12 5:18:49 AM, montecarlo296 at yahoo.com writes:

> have cable shift in my GTM though it is the standard kit from the AW11
> MR2 that the engine/box came from.

Phil, on my '92 MR2 turbo, one of the two shift cables broke at the clevis
attached to the shift stick, rendering the car immobile. If one cable
breaks, the interlock between the two sets of gears is also   disconnected so no
gears at all can be selected. The area is not easily accessed due to the
one-piece console upholstery, and Toyota lists four cables, all of different
lengths but not described by position in their parts lists. By sheer luck I
ordered the one that actually fit- for $125!
To keep the breakage from happening again, a tapering channel some 0.250"
deep x about 4" long was pounded into the sheet metal covering the central
fuel tank, to allow the cable/clevis to join the shift stick at a zero angle.
The factory set-up allowed about a 5 degree misalignment, which put enough
of a strain on the cable/clevis swedge joint to eventually break the cable.
This is an area you might want to check carefully if you're using Toyota
cables, due to the inflexible way they attach to the stock shift stick and the
small dia. of the cables. Good luck- J Deryke