[DeTomaso] Stearing Rack Rebuild Information Location ?

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 01:37:19 EDT 2012

Jack wrote:

The boot hose-clamps are odd
narrow ones not conveniently available at most cheap auto parts stores, so some
"mechanics" substitute tie-wraps or even baling wire. Words fail me....

>>>The bailing wire was factory.  I can't remember now if the early cars got the wire treatment and the later ones got the hose clamps, or vice versa, but the split from the factory is about 50/50.  In fact, the presence of bailing wire securing the rack boots is a good indication that the rack had never been opened up.  There's no telling on a rack that has clamps.

Most of the Pantera vendors today advise using zip ties, and include them with their new boots.  I vastly prefer the narrow hose clamps.  I haven't found a source for them, although I admit I haven't tried too hard to find them.