[DeTomaso] Cable Shifter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 16:07:26 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/30/12 5:39:04 AM, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> I a playing with building a cable shifter. Anyone ever mess with it?

I had the one being marketed by Gorilla Tools for evaluation last year
(designed by Lloyd Butfoy for his 6-speed ZF conversion during Ford's
consideration of the ZF for the Ford GT), then somewhat redesigned. Lloyd thought it
was more trouble than it was worth in a Pantera. The rig is very well built,
uses premium parts, is complex in action and extremely heavy- the mounting
brackets are made of 1" thick 6061 plate. It's fitted individually to each
car; the two heavy cables are ordered separately, AFTER you get the rest of
the shifter installed and take precise measurements. There were no
installation directions included, just a phone number if you get confused.
Consensus was, it's very expensive, a little vague-feeling at best and
solves only the problem of shift-shaft flex that lets the cockpit stick go into
one gated slot as the gearbox goes into another while speed-shifting. Of
course, correcting that then lets you 'beat' the ZF's steel synchro action,
causing a GRAUNCH!! Probably best to clean up the performance of the stock
shifter and learn not to speed shift. My 2¢- J DeRyke