[DeTomaso] Electrical Issues

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:19:24 EDT 2012

I would start with the rake lights,for two reasons.One is that they are
essential for safe operation and two it is a relatively simple and isolated
system. Test the  wiring to the brake light switch, if it's good ( hot)
then test the actual brake light switch. If the switch is good but the
brake lights don't work then start checking the connections the brake light
switch to the brake lights. If you find connectivity
er grounds and connections. If you findable pattern of bad grounds (
painted metal) you know where to start ) if you find connectivity problems
I would recommend  replacing wire connections with more modern
replacements. MSD makes a series of connectors ( from one  wire to 6 wire
connectors that provided solid connection and are water proof and just pop
open and closed. Ken Green turned me on to them. There are numerous others
availible From other manufacturers, I just happen to be familiar with
these.  This is a good opportunity to update your wiring connections to
21st century standards.. Make sure you have a multimeter and know how to
use it, a variety of test lights ( there are several types like powered
line tester with probes that can penetrate insulation so you don't have to
disconnect  wires in order to test the circuit). A good schematic ( you can
buy a large color schematic through Asa Jay, just keep in mind that the
color codes don't always match) several good wire strippers of different
styles and a good soldering iron.  If you are not experienced in wiring you
should pick up a book on wiring (last time I looked home depot had a small
pocket book on wiring ( it was geared more toward household wiring but
would still be usefull to a novice) Good Luck!

Boyd