[DeTomaso] Signal-cancel cam

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Mon Aug 27 14:08:47 EDT 2012

This has a nice little problem in it.
Pull the LeCarra hub adapter with  a gear puller.
Rotate it 90 deg CCW so the cam is in the middle of the switch.
Tighten it down - now the steering and the cam are aligned.

So the real problem is getting the wheel to agree - nothing to do with
the steering assembly.
Take the wheel-indexing ring off the adapter (secured by 9 hex screws -
so 40 degrees apart)
Rotate it by 2 screws = 80 degrees, so 10 degrees off, of course.
(if they'd used 8 screws it would have been a piece of cake)
Let it go for the moment.

While I'm under here:
Shim the sliding joint in the shaft - play from the missing plastic
bushing has been driving me nuts.
Drill and re-tap the stripped hole (lower support strap) that I inherited.

The actual error is less than 10 degrees, so when I'm happy that I have
it ID'd accurately
  I'll pull the adapter and cut a new indexing slot for the cam at 80
degrees + the actual error
  and put the wheel-indexing ring back where it was.
dave