[DeTomaso] DBelectrical

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 24 12:45:42 EDT 2012

Jerry
I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed and frustrated with DB Electric.

I have to say my experience with DB Electric has been totally the opposite
of yours.
I have one of their starters in my Pantera and it seems flawless and very
powerful. I couldn't be any happier.

I went the high cost local route for my 3G alternator. Paid about $250 from
a reputable local shop. After boiling my battery several times when it went
berserk, and removing and replacing the alternator for them to test and tell
me it was fine SEVERAL times, I became as frustrated as you did.

So, I decided to take a chance and ordered a 3G alternator from DB Electric.
It is for a 3.8L Mustang 1995-97.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4110-new-mercury-cougar-alternator-38l-94-95-9
6-97-7771.aspxIt

I had to change the pulley to a single groove type, which was easy, and I
already had that. I also needed to wire it carefully and the bolt hole was
unthreaded. I dealt with that using a helicoil, but you could just use a
bolt and nut if you're not as fussy as me.

It has worked flawlessly from day 1 and continues to do a great job. It can
balance all the loads in my car at an idle! It never goes berserk and boils
my battery. And, it cost me $80. The useless, expensive local alternator is
in a box. No refund.

Barry

----
Jerry R Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Fri Aug 24 08:47:03 CDT 2012 :

In the on going saga of the DB Electrical starter for my 67 Cobra 351C.
Returned the starter to DB Electrical using their return number.  They have
had it two weeks with a explanatory note that I had included.  I had
explained that the starter had been on the car twice causing 4 R & Rs of the
starter.  It had burned out a battery that was still in partial warranty
caused a  tow bill of $65.00 and I had contacted them about the problem.
They had told me it was the correct starter for the motor and probably my
battery was just bad and decided to give out on the first start after
driving the car with their new starter. After the second install, and
driving it to a car show the starter gear would not retract from the
flywheel until you revved the engine.  All this is now fine after purchasing
and installing a rebuilt starter from O'Reiley's.

They have had the return for over 2 weeks and I had not received any
communications from them.  Called this morning and they informed me that the
credit card had been credited the day after they received the returned
starter.  I asked if they had tested the starter to find if it was indeed
bad.  I was informed that the returned starters were routinely 'cored'
(junked) upon return.  Asked about the additional charges I had incurred
because of their product, including the $11.00 return shipping.  DB said
that would all be on me, because they had returned the original purchase
amount.  I explained that I wasn't please with this policy and DB explained
to me that I probably shouldn't do business with them anymore.

Unfortunately I have one of their starters new on the shelf for the Pantera.
So I will be a bit more skeptical of the quality when I need to use it.

Being continually educated in customer support,
jerry in Nowata