[DeTomaso] ZF Speedo Seal / leaks

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 21:42:36 EDT 2012

I put a new seal in my ZF speedo drive a week ago after finding that it and
the O ring were both missing following my rebuild.  I put them, per the
drawing, between the drive and the 90-degree angle drive after I undid the
bolt on the drive from the ZF.

I installed the seal flat surface up, since it appeared to be the correct
direction and the drawing was not distinct enough to tell which side should
be which direction.  Having installed the seal, and the O ring at that same
connection, I now have even more gear oil leaking, but now it's from the
cable attachment to the angle drive:  I'm wondering, does the seal need to
be the other direction, and by installing it as I have, am I causing oil to
fill the angle drive and be forced out of the cable connection?

Should there also be an O ring where the speedo cable connects to the angle
drive?  I may be missing that as well.

Thanks
Mike Thomas