[DeTomaso] Mechanics of after marker suspension bushings?

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 02:36:35 EDT 2012

Stock rubber bushings are supposed to be bonded to the inner and outer sleeves.  So, yes, you do have to tighten the bolt/nut at the normal ride height or the rubber will be under constant tension and thus fail sooner.

Aftermarket bushings are usually nylon, delrin, or some other kind of harder material and are NOT bonded to the metal sleeve(s).  This is because that material will not stretch like rubber does and if there were no motion between the sleeves and bushing material between them the suspension could not move. It has been too long since I did my bushings for me to remember where that motion occurs, but I installed Zerk fittings in the outer sleeves so I could lube them when they started to squeak, so I would think at least some of it must be between the bushing material and the outer sleeve.

Jim