[DeTomaso] Engine shipping within California?

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 11:49:33 EDT 2012

> Didn't Dan J haul 2 302s to St. Louis in the back of a 5.0 Mustang? (and
> average 100mph)

It was two complete 351 Clevelands from Steve Liebenow in the back of my
1987 Mustang GT all the way from San Francisco to St. Louis.  We folded the
rear seats down (pre-loaded with pillows and blankets) and covered the floor
of the hatch with cardboard and plastic.  Turned the two short blocks upside
down and slid them up towards the front seats.  Zipped tied them together and
then put in the intake manifolds, cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, oil pans
and all the rest of the bits.  Wedged in cardboard to protect the interior as
best we could.  My Mustang is fitted with Ford Motorsport lowering springs
and the extra weight made it even lower.  I tried to take it easy leaving but
San Francisco Monday morning rush hour traffic is not for the timid.  With
the 3.08:1 final drive ratio, 0.68:1 5th gear and all the extra weight, it was
a slug at 60 MPH but pulled like a freight train at 105 MPH (just happens to
be torque peak in 5th gear).  Going up and down the mountains, the engines
would slide towards me, so I had to periodically reach between the seats and
push them back.  I had a radar detector but the co-worker who was following
me in his car did not and got a ticket somewhere in Kansas.  The speed, weight
and summer heat took its toll as I heat checked the rear tires and the
differential side gears.  Ended up rebuilding the Trac-Loc and replacing the
axles and bearings.  I also ovaled the rear suspension bushings (installed
adjustable upper control arms and HPM lower control arms with polyurethane
bushings).

I blame Steve.  It was his idea :-)  BTW, the block from one of the engines
made it back to California and now resides in the back of Mike Drew's Pantera.

Dan Jones