[DeTomaso] Setting Headlights

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 15:28:38 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/12/12 11:44:28 AM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> I am aware this usually entails parking a specific distance from a wall
> and setting the headlights to shine at a specific height and angle on the
> wall, however I assume the height of the headlight off the ground (car
> height) plays into that calculation. FWIW I have separate high and low beam
> projectors (quad headlights).

When I adjusted mine (after dark) to compensate for the 2 degree nose-down
rake, I pulled Judy's commuter car 20 ft out in front of the Pantera, sat
her in the commuter and adjusted until the Pantera's low-beam halogen-glare
was tolerable to her in her mirror. In the stock system, the hi-beams are
integral to the bulbs so no separate adjustment can be done. You could do the
same with your low beam bulbs, then arrange an oncoming car some distance up a
deserted road and adjust the separate high beams so they are not too
painful to oncoming traffic (if you are a second slow to dim for oncoming traffic,
drivers often get violently upset. And NV has a liberal concealed-carry
law....).

With vehicle heights all over the place, almost any adjustment you make
will P.O some driver; just try to make the bright spot from low & hi-beams
minimally painful to others and you should be fine. No way to calculate what
that might be. Thats my method- J Deryke