[DeTomaso] Trans cooler

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 9 17:26:42 EDT 2012

The end-mount oil pump was a race team mod (dunno which one), as was
another pump driven by a vee-belt off the left inboard stub-axle; a race team made
a pulley adapter. Have the photo somewhere.

As for GT-40 ZF failures during races 45 years ago, at the time their
dash-zero ZFs used aluminum bearing side-plates like I'm running on our street
car. Lloyd Butfoy mentioned to me that ZF changed to iron bearing side-plates
due to the aluminum parts expanding under temp at Daytona 24, Sebring 12 and
maybe LeMans. The heat slacked off side-gear preload and caused bearing,
then gear failure. Since he's the authority, I respect his comment. But at the
temp a street car sees in its ZF lube (I found 180F- hardly enough to
remove condensation!) I'm not worried about losing my bearings(!) The change lost
6 lbs of wt. per side and are the early side-plate design with brace bolts
to the early bellhousing; I don't use the side bolts. There were slightly
later iron side-plates with angle bolts, too. The change on Judy's car was 6
or 7 years ago; so far so good.

Another factor, if you're really concerned about ZF lube heating is,
real-race ZFs used a sprag-type limited-slip similar to a Detroit locker. This
type of LSD introduces far less heating into the lube than slip-clutch LSDs,
but were supplanted by the three different types of clutch-type LSDs anyway.
Lloyd says no parts available for the locker-ZFs. I know of one pushbutton
Pantera (ZF dash 1-1/2) and one early Mangusta (ZF dash-1) that got this type
of locker in a street car. Dunno if either are still running it today.
Illustrations are in the appropriate ZF Manuals.    FWIW- J DeRyke