[DeTomaso] Window motor mensa.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 8 00:19:17 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/7/12 19 54 44, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I thought "busted" meant broken as in "no longer working " in which case
> attempting to open the window by manually turning the remnants of a gear
> would be a fruitless endeavor. I don't think the number of window gears I
> have "worked with" is relative to the factual accuracy of the statement.  As a
> person used to being observant and factual you should have noticed that I
> did specify "broken gear as in disintegrated , not just missing. A few
> teeth"

"Busted" means "no longer one piece".   Check out a few images of the
failure mode here:

http://www.panteraplace.com/page59.htm

The text indicates that the teeth strip off the gears, but all of the
broken gears I've seen had their teeth intact.   They break from the center
outwards, but the housing contains all the pieces, so even a broken gear will
function to some degree, sometimes, initially.   Eventually it breaks further
and then jams up the works.

By coincidence, Bev Hall just sent out a newsletter in which she reminisces
about suffering a headlight breakdown with Gary many years ago (same
mechanism as the window, hence same problem). I've seen cars where the headlights
wouldn't go up and down smoothly, but instead they would sort of jerk and
shudder as they went up and down.   This was because the gear was broken, but
still functional to a degree.

In any case, it will be interesting to find out what Dave's problem really
is?