[DeTomaso] BAD ASS!!! (NPC)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 21:55:52 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

Lori and I went back to Europe last week, attending the annual Vintage
Sports Car Club Prescott hillclimb in England.   I attended this event in 2005
and was just blown away, so I had to take Lori to see it for herself.

According to UK Pantera Club secretary Roger Brotton, members of the VSCC
are all "...mad as a box of frogs", and I can't disagree.   Here, check out
this dude:

This guy is driving the hell out of a 1903 Mercedes Grand Prix car.
Almost 10 liters, four cylinders, mountains of torque, skinny tires and wagon
wheels.   He's driving right on the limit, hauling ass up a narrow driveway
with guardrails and walls and steep dropoffs on both sides.   He has so much
torque that he lights up the tires exiting the corners, and powerslides and
drifts beautifully.

Did I mention that it is POURING with rain in this photo?   Did it stop him
from running?   No sir!

At the end of the day, his wife appeared in his paddock with their modern
Audi wagon.   Into it were deposited the helmet, driving suit, tools etc.
He then put on his flat cap, tied a hankerchief around his face to protect it
from bugs and hot oil, put on his leather gauntlet driving gloves, and
DROVE IT HOME!

Can you imagine driving a 100-year-old Grand Prix car with no lights, no
front brakes, and a top speed in excess of 100 mph on the back roads and
freeways to get home, some hundred or more miles away, after beating the hell out
of it on a hillclimb track for two days, in the mud and the rain?

This guy and this car are BAD ASS!!! :>)