[DeTomaso] Electric Parking Brake Caliper Actuator

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 09:57:46 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/3/12 19 02 34, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> One of the new hyundais is advertising their car with an electronically
> actuated e brake.
>

>>>My 5-series BMW rental car had the same feature.

Actually, by definition it's not an emergency brake anymore--it's a parking
brake.   If your brakes fail while underway, the OEM-style units won't do
anything for you.   There's no lever to pull/pedal to step on to
mechanically, manually actuate the brakes, and I don't think you can set the electric
version while moving.

I guess governments have given up on the notion of backup braking system
for emergency use while underway.   This makes an aftermarket electric system
a viable thing for Panteras, I think?

Mike (whose Pantera has no parking brake...maybe now I can fix that?)