[DeTomaso] Ingnition switch/tumblers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 04:48:41 EDT 2012

In a message dated 8/2/12 11 23 59, fstoye at aol.com writes:

> After two years of babying my ignition switch, I had the embarrassing
> event that I couldn't turn the key and had to have it flat bedded away from
> our local cruise night.
>

>>>Fred,

Sorry to hear it.   The fact is, it's a simple fix that only takes seconds
and requires nothing more than a paper clip.

Take a look at this album which shows the ignition switch with the key
installed (off position) and removed.

Notice that when the key is installed, the tumbler moves inwards a tiny
amount.   What undoubtedly happened to you is that when you withdrew your key,
the tumbler didn't come all the way out.   The NEXT time you insert the key,
it won't turn.

The solution is laughably simple.   Just straighten one loop of a paper
clip, then put a very small hook in one end (2 mm or so).   If your lock sticks
again, insert the hook, rotate the clip 90 degrees, and pull the tumbler
back out, rotate the hook the other way and remove it.   Insert key, and drive
away. :>)

I'd go to a locksmith shop or good hardware store and buy some dedicated
lock lubricant and spray it in there.   I had the same problem you did, bought
the right stuff, spritzed it in there, and haven't needed to use my paper
clip trick for more than 10 years now....