[DeTomaso] A little Pantera content - California title

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 11:37:01 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/29/12 8 29 48, knottsj at galstar.com writes:

> Last week I agreed to buy a Pantera in the Los Angeles area.  The person
> am buying from is out of town until this week end.  I have a Vin number
> and
> a copy of a State of California Certificate of Title with a registration
> expiration date of 2001.
> Is the registration expiration date for the tag or the title?
>
>>>Titles never expire.   Registration expires every year.

> >Is there a way to verify that there is a current California title issued
> on
> the car and if so the name on the title?
>
>>>I don't know about that.   If the seller had made a copy of the title
when he owned it, then sold the car, then the actual current owner would have
a new title with his name on it.

> >His vanity plate is two years out of date.
> I have found that the title does not have to be notarized to be
> transferred.
> Is that true?
>
>>>That is very true--it just needs the seller's signature on the back
side, releasing the title to the buyer.   As for the plate, you say it's two
years overdue--that means that if you register it in California, they will
demand back fees plus fines and penalties.   However, if you register it in
another state, they probably won't care.   They'll just take the signed-over
title and issue you a new title in your name.

> >No money has changed hands but I hate to drive 1400 miles to find out
> there
> is something wrong.
>
> Any and all help would be appreciated.
>
>>>Presuming the seller actually owns the car (which you won't know for
sure until you're holding the original title rather than a Xerox copy), there
should be no problems buying it and registering it in your state.   The
seller is fortunate he's selling to an out-of-state buyer, as the fees/penalties
for failing to pay the registration would be a sticking point with an
in-state sale.