[DeTomaso] The continuing saga of...tasteful engines

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 17:39:58 EDT 2012

An Ls9 presents a number of problems. The super charger uses an offset
drive that won't clear the fire wall. It would be much easier to use an LS3
and supercharge it with one of the after market super chargers that allows
for a centered drive and a rear intake. You also need to accomodate a dry
sump with an LS9 which is another space and weight issue.  If you can over
come the super charger drive problems of the LS9 you could acheiv
practically the same result for almost half the price by going with an LSA
. 560 hp and a 6 bolt main with direct injection and lots of other neat
trick stuff  (or 630HP with a pulley change) The LSA has many of the same
features as the LS9 but has a smaller super charger. You can buy an LSA for
$11,000 and change  and don't need a dry sump while an LS9 is more like
$21,000. You can also buy an LS3 fuel injected coil on cylinder ignition
that puts out 525 hp and 489 ft lb's of torque the LS 376/525  at 6300 rpm
,you can pick one up for around $7000. If 525 hp isn't enough you can
stroke it to 427 Cu inches , orIf you super charged it  you could easily be
looking at 700 + hp . The biggest problem is what are you going to do with
your ZF and all that torque?
Boyd