[DeTomaso] Good news, bad news

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:43:42 EDT 2012

Dan,

I'm looking now at one of two options... or hell, maybe more.

Salvaging what I have or going with something else.

Connecting rods are Eagle ESP Eagle CRS6000B3D
6", 2.225" journal, .928 pin

The pistons are JE 4.015", but I will have to go to the machine shop to get the pin height.
I don't remember... old age, I guess.
They are flatop with a large relief for the intake and a small one for the exhaust.
We were trying for a quench of .045 or better.
Effectively, they are sitting right at the top of the cylinder.

If you need more details, I'll get that on Monday.

It's externally balanced.

I would really like to keep my IR EFI manifold setup, regardless of how many individuals try to convince me to go back to a carburetor.
:-)
I would like to use some new 180's that are on the way, but I guess I could cancel them and get something else.
I'd like to keep my new aluminum flywheel and new damper.

Other than that, my quick guess is that I will break even going in different directions.
By that, I mean that I need a new block (I have a Cleveland stock bore 2 bolt main block with a set of 4 bolt main caps 'in stock' in my garage that I could start spending money on) and I need a new crankshaft.
I'd like to keep the 4V iron heads. Spent a shitload of money on those, too.
It'd be nice to keep the Compcams cam, lifters and rocker and pushrods and....

It would be nice to use the Eagle rods and JE pistons, but at this point, I"m ready to consider all options.
I could probably sell the rods and pistons. They are in perfect shape.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, input and advice.
I did kinda' want to drive the car to Phoenix, even with the paint looking like crap, but that won't happen, of course.

Thanks
Kirby