[DeTomaso] The continuing saga of...

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 14:47:05 EDT 2012

my engine.

A 4 bolt replacement cap from Will fit well and the block was line bored
again.
Everything cleaned up except the block web on both sides where the cap
mates with the block.
Driver's side is a little over .001".
Passenger side is .004".
75% of the bearing surface is good... those areas aren't.

My choices:

1) Run it like it is...  (maybe in Granny's old Ford...)

2) Line bore it some more, but it'd have to go a long way vertically to
make up .004 laterally... I don't think this is really an option.

3) Bore that main more and machine a spacer. (I was not aware of this, but
apparently drag racers do this all the time? Comments?)

4) Use my other block and start over. (Sigh...)

I should know about the crankshaft condition Friday or Monday. Getting it
crack tested and checked.

New question:
I had thought about this before, but dismissed it.
Asked two other people and they said no way.

But. I'll ask again. How about side loading with lots of belts too tight on
one side?

I don't have this scenario, but was wondering. Can you trash a main bearing
due to accessory belt load?

FWIW,
Kirby