[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 93, Issue 18-Kirby Bearing

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 13:12:09 EDT 2012

Kirby,
sounds like you have a tough situation not really knowing
what caused the issue

I have blown many a motor but I knew why in all cases
Many were pontiac spun bearings all due to oil starvation
I did walk the crank on the rear of one of my pontiac motors
but that was due to bell housing alignment

Bearings usually spin in the center not the ends ..that
is what I have seen in six of my motors

Roger in our club built his monster Yates headed cleveland
...you helped him with his fuel injection data a few years back
He told me they checked three crankshafts before they found
a straight one to use... I have been told recently that the
machining on the cranks we are getting now can be questionable
I think we need to check everything now a days..even if it is new!

I think you and your engine builder already know this but as the
you keep line honing the timing chain needs to be shorter
my latest engine failure- yes still a pontiac had the chain flopping
around on a motor with only 750 miles on it... I now have an
aftermarket Kauffman racing block- sort of like my panteras dart block
It is still in the shop and should be back in a couple of weeks-- MOTOR
NUMBER 9
in the old Pontiac

Good thing is you have a spare car you can run... that wicked gt40
my wife asks me why I like my Pontiac so much as it is always
broken... I tell her it was a $300 pos and now when it runs is an awsome pos

See you next week with my Dart Block Wndsor:)

Bob Benson