[DeTomaso] Dipstick photos and measurements // that's my final answer

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 13:34:27 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/16/12 10 31 14, b.hower3400 at yahoo.com writes:

> So I now believe Ken has a valid point. If in fact the Mustang/Torino
> engines were mounted at a 4 degree tilt and carburetor mounting surface was
> then level. If in fact De Tomaso installed the engines in the Pantera level
> and that all De Tomaso did originally was extent  the handle of the
> dipstick  --  leaving the same distance from bottom of ridge to the full mark as it
> came in the Ford shipped engine. Then with 5 qts of oil in the engine the
> dipstick would read over full. This may be the reason the TSB had you
> shorten the stick -- it should then read full with the 5 quarts in engine.

It took a long time for us to all get around to this point, but I believe
that's a brilliant deduction.   In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the stock
Ford dipstick I'm going to test later this week will measure roughly the same
as the too-long De Tomaso dipstick.   The Clue Light came on sometime in
late 1972 and the dipsticks were then shortened to account for the
level-versus-tilted orientation of the engine.

We'll see if this hypothesis is proven....