[DeTomaso] Wheel Bearings GT5-S

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Sun Apr 15 18:27:27 EDT 2012

2012-04-15 21:05, JDeRyke at aol.com skrev:
> In a message dated 4/14/12 12:46:55 PM, thomas at hax.se writes:
>
>> The upright is not bored out on later cars, they are beefier from the
>> start.
>

> Thomas, I measured; however it was done, the larger bearing needs a
> bigger hole and the usual cast relief inside between the two bearings is
> noearly but not quite all, gone. If you weighed both an easrly & late
> bare upright and the late one was heavier, OK.The simpest way is, it was
> bored. J Deryke!DSPAM:4f8b1c1a13911562831224!

I don't see how you could possibly bore out an early upright from 90 mm
to 100 mm to accomodate the larger outer bearing.

Here's a photo of early uprights, and I don't see how you could shave 5
mm off on the radius, without compromising the integrity of the upright.

http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Mikes%20axle%20rebuild%20b%209.jpg

and here is a photo of one of my GT5 uprights:

http://www.hax.se/125-2570_IMG.JPG

The wall thickness is about the same for the two uprights, despite the
later one having a larger diameter bearing.

The inner bearing is the same diameter on the early and late uprights,
but the later bearing is a roller bearing that is 5 mm wider than the
early ball bearing.

One other thing that indicates that the later uprights are beefier is
that the bolts for the U-joint in the yoke can't be removed on later
cars without first removing the yoke from the stub axle, and that is
apparently possible on early cars.

Thomas