[DeTomaso] distributor gear

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 14:48:59 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/13/12 4:41:07 AM, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> It still puzzles me why this is a problem for the aftermarket, when
> apparently the factories has it sorted, never heard of this issue for a stock
> cam/gear.

Stock engines were rev limited so stress was less; the problems start when
cams and oil pumps are messed with.   Being a limited production engine, the
351-C never got factory support for different kinds of cams (steels vs cast
iron) as factory rollers appeared a decade late. The 351-C uses a unique
size gear with (in my opinion) a too-small roll pin of the wrong type -thin
coils rather than a thick steel tube or a solid dowel to hold the gear. Also
being a limited production engine, the aftermarket sells one 351-C cam for 50
351-W cams- which also use the same gear size as the 289/302/5.0L so there
are billions of them around. No market= no development. My best guess- J
Deryke