[DeTomaso] Oil question at last resolved (I think)

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Apr 12 10:39:06 EDT 2012

That's a relief--thanks.

I never thought I'd be so glad I'm baffled...  :)

Chris

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 23:23:33 -0700
From: garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Subject: Oil question at last resolved (I think)
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at realbig.com

<<< This should mean that "full" now means 9 quarts.  If I'm off a little, I think I'll be safe, since I'll have a little leeway either way.
Since it's too late tonight to start the car, in deference to the neighbors, I won't know until a day or two from now what will
happen when I fire her up--hopefully not a smoke show!
The only nagging question I now have is: what kind of damage might I
have caused on Tuesday driving 30 miles each way to and from my front-end alignment shop, while being at least 3 quarts low!
The good news is the oil pressure registered between 35 and 65 lbs (idle to freeway speeds) the entire way (the same as
always), and nothing weird happened during the trip... >>
9 quart capacity, just as John Schwartz from Aviad stated!
No damage to your engine either!  You have a fully baffled Armando road race pan, so there was still 6 quarts of oil there - you're pickup should never have been starved.  Even if you raced through some twisties, the oil pickup should always have been bathed in plenty of oil - so, shouldn't matter if there's 4 quarts, 6 quarts, or 9 quarts in the pan as long as the pickup never sucks air. More oil is just insurance, and
 also helps maintain lower oil temps.