[DeTomaso] Dist gear material

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Wed Apr 11 23:39:31 EDT 2012

Mike,

Bill Price (Price Motorsport) told me that Mallory produced a batch of 351C
dist. gears with the roll-pin hole in the wrong place. The hole was either
0.100" too high or too low (I can't remember which). Naturally, they all
wore out (or will wear out) in no time.

Tri-Tec Motorsports (http://www.tritecmotorsports.com) has composite gears
for the 351C coming out any day now. They've been doing endurance testing
for about six months, so the gears should be ready for sale. Tri-Tec
designed their gears by working off of the original Ford drawings for the
351C/460 dist. gear, so you can be sure the part is correct. They make Comp
Cams' composite dist. gears and also supply the NASCAR teams. I'm told the
composite gears are stronger than steel but more forgiving than bronze.