[DeTomaso] Oil Restrictors Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 20:14:36 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/11/12 3:06:47 PM, seanmundy at hotmail.com writes:

> This is starting to make some sense now.  Moroso kit on the 2-5 mains
> only and fit a restrictor in the crank/cam bearing oil passage.

Correct- as long as you do the #1 plug as described, and restricting oil to
the left side oil gallery in #5 main journal (which has three oil feeds)
will cause most hydraulic lifters to rattle as they periodically run out of
oil. This includes hydraulic-roller lifters. Mine have been rattilng for 20
yrs....

> I also gleaned some of that from the network 54 forum.  To confuse the
> matter some more though,
> another option the engine builder mentioned was a crossover modification.

The crossover mod basically makes the 351-C oil like the Ford 429/460 by
eliminating one of the three oil feeds from the Cleveland's #5 main and
substituting a short (3") line between the oil galleries in the lifter valley. It
also eliminates that restrictor in #5 and substitutes a plug like in #1. I
illustrated that mod a few months ago in your Newsletter.

Besides the above tips covered well by W Kooiman, I suggest NOT running
external lines on any engine. They are vulnerable to heat, vibration and
debris, and of three 351-C blow-ups I've helped clean up, two lost #2 rods and one
lost #1- all on engines WITHOUT an Aviaid (or Armando) pan. These are the
bearings FIRST oiled in a 351-C, so based on this small sample, taking oil
from those locations and routing it to the rear of the block makes no sense to
me. YMMV.

I also sugest carefully cleaning any donor 351-C blocks cam bearing oil
passages. I've found that varnish builds up between the large passage bore and
the small holes thru the cam bearings. One block needed this   rock-hard
s... drilled out. If you can wait, MME and Butterworth both seem to be making
progress with their aftermarket 351-C blocks in both iron and aluminum, which
obsoletes all these mods. Good luck on your build- J Deryke