[DeTomaso] really dumb question about oil

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue Apr 10 20:23:56 EDT 2012

A while ago the subject came up, and I have some problems with the numbers because of my unique situation (by the way, after running the car for a few minutes, I was able to get another quart in it, for a total of 6).  My dipstick was too long, but it broke, and I riveted it back together and after that it is now exactly 38" long from the tip to the bottom edge of the cup.  However, I think what was discovered was that my dipstick tube was too long, so it was shortened to be the correct length.
Perhaps what happened was that the tube wasn't really too long after all, and now it is too short!  That would account for the misreading.
Do you know how long the dipstick tube should be from the top to the point where it enters the block?
Thanks,
Chris