[DeTomaso] Dist gear material

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 02:42:04 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/8/12 23 35 0, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> What does the OEM/factories use? Don't they use steel roller cams, and if
> they do, what dist gear do they use? Those engines last for several 100k
> miles, why do we bother with bronze gears? MME tells me I must use bronze
> gear.

You need to find out *exactly* what their cam blank is made out of.   I
suspect you have a steel hydraulic roller cam, just like mine.  My distributor
gear failed because a vendor promised me it was a Crane steel gear (good)
and instead it was a Mallory gear (crap).   Mallory states that their gear can
only be used with CAST cam blanks, not steel cams.   Crane gears (and MSD
too) are designed to work with steel roller cams.   You should have no
problem with this same gear, I wouldn't think.

I just today installed and fired up my engine with my replacement cam and
new, actual, no-kidding Crane gear (thanks to loads of help today from Julian
Kift who drove 2.5 hours each way to spend the whole day installing my
engine with me, what a guy!).   I have zero first-hand experience of course, but
I have every confidence that this gear will outlast me!