[DeTomaso] Changing belts

CharlesMcCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 10:09:30 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Getting ready to do some preventative maintenance on the Pantera in
anticipation of several long trips to be taken over the next few months.

1) How often should the alternator/water pump/etc belts be changed? Do they
have a fixed lifetime in years, or is it mileage related?

2) How can one inspect to see if the belt should be changed? Does one see
cracking? A glossy, glazed finish or something? Noise?

3) I'm wondering this because the belts in my car are probably 10 years old,
I think, and this morning I could hear what I believe to be belt noise for
the first few minutes when starting the engine. It was only a few degrees
above freezing - do cold belts make more noise than hot belts?

Thanks!

Charles McCall
Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe
1985 DeTomaso Pantera #9375