[DeTomaso] Restoration

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 20:53:56 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/6/12 13 05 58, dgrobinson2000 at gmail.com writes:

> Where is the best place in the US to have a total restoration done on
> a Mangusta?
> Concerns are quality, price, and speed of completion.
> Thanks for any and all info.
> ______________________

Given that they have so little in common with a Pantera, I certainly
wouldn't feel compelled to take it to a Pantera expert.   Unfortunately, Mangusta
experts are pretty thin on the ground.   I'd try to find a place that does
known good work on vintage Ferraris, and other Italian cars, to include
sheetmetal fabrication.

One place NOT to take it is Gary Bobileff's shop in the San Diego area.
He's the nation's acknowledged Lamborghini restoration expert.   Somebody
took a Mangusta to him that had less than 1000 original miles on it, for a
restoration (it had been garage-stored in Florida and suffered from
moisture/rust as a result).   They took more than ten years (!!!) I believe, before the
car finally came out of there!   I looked at the car afterwards, and while
it was nice, in the 10 years they managed to lose some critical parts, such
as the whole parking brake mechanism etc. and that's pretty much impossible
to find anywhere else.

Where are you geographically located?

Depending on the condition of your car, I would probably budget $50-75K for
a full restoration....