[DeTomaso] ZF trans axle question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 16:29:50 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/4/12 8:24:59 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I planing on having my engine and trans axle out of my car and would like
> to clean up the appearance of the ZF cases. I don't want to polish it
> $$$$$$ what other finishes are okay to use (won't damage trans ,cause
> overheating ) can you media blast it (glass bead) while it is assembled?

Non-racing driving won't cause much more than 180F case temperatures with
correct volume of lube inside. There isn't than much cooling that comes from
the alunimum cases- any oil-proof paint should be fine. Glass beading or
grit-blasting is VERY hard to clean out of an assembled tranny if too much
enthusiasm is used around the many openings. And this is an ideal time to change
the side seals and the side, end & bottom gaskets. All the vendors have
kits- which they get from RBT Transmissions. Do NOT use non-stock side gaskets:
changing gasket thicknesses there changes the preload on the ring & pinion
so noise & wear can result. Good luck- J Deryke