[DeTomaso] Windshield Gasket

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 16:18:57 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/5/12 12:03:42 PM, lance730 at msn.com writes:

> Where can I buy a windshield gasket?  Any tricks to remove
> gasket/windshield?thanks, TripDC

All the Pantera vendors carry them but no one else that I know of. The last
time I looked they were $250 so if there's the slightest chance of re-using
your OEM one, do NOT cut it.
The website "Panteraplace.com" has instructions on doing this starting with
WD-40 and lots of care to remove the chrome trim untwisted.
If you're changing windshields, the simplest way is to put a blanket on the
hood and kick the glass out in pieces! Then the rubber pulls out cleanly.
Be prepared to do some metalwork in the lower windshield channel which nearly
always rusts- sometimes clear through the body.
If you're trying to stop a persistent leak, there's a special RTV that does
NOT smell of vinegar to use. Std. RTV will generate acetic acid (that
vinegar smell) during cure that attacks steel, making the rusting worse. Good
luck- J Deryke