[DeTomaso] gas tank float switch

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 17:11:56 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/3/12 10 38 57, MikeLDrew at aol.com writes:

> I'd replace an entire unit if I had an entire unit that needed
> replacing.  But if the unit works electrically and the only problem is that the
> float, doesn't, then I'd just replace the float.  Any float will do.  I just
> heard from somebody who fixed his fuel level sender himself that way a week or
> two ago.

Further to that, I drove to my NAPA auto parts store to inquire.   Turns
out they had a float in stock, which costs a whopping twelve bucks.   Crappy
cell-phone photo here:

It uses a "shepard's hook" attachment scheme, same as the stock one does.
I don't know for sure if the size is the same, but I presume the wire on
the sender could be bent if necessary to accomodate the float.

If your sender doesn't work, i.e. it reads empty all the time, remove it
from the tank, ensure a good ground, then turn the key on and run it through
its travel while looking at the gauge.   If the only problem is a punctured,
non-floating float, a $12 replacement seems like a smart move.