[DeTomaso] (no subject)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 16:54:30 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/3/12 12 07 16, tpoemer at gmail.com writes:

> Is there a "correct" way to re-install the chassis brace above the
> transaxle? Jack the rear of the car up with the wheels on and then have
> the
> brace fit "back of slot to back of slot" in the tabs.....or on the
> ground??
> Thanks for your help.

Good question!

If you have the stock one, it's a no-brainer, since there's no adjustment
possible.   Regardless of where you put it, it's going to go where it wants
to go, and then stay there, doing not a whole lot (although it's certainly
better than nothing, which would be a disaster).

The adjustable ones give a bit more utility, but should never be used
actively.   That is, you should never crank and crank on the adjustment in an
effort to pry the car apart.   People do this sometimes!

I say, jack the car up in the center rear (don't mangle the sheetmetal)
with the drivetrain, wheels etc. installed.   The suspension will droop and the
inner wheelhouses will spread apart somewhat.   Install the brace and
tighten it until it's just snug, then insert the fastening bolts, make them as
tight as you can (washers are a must here, otherwise you'll just fold the
sheetmetal tabs), then lower the car.

Once you think about how the rear of the car is constructed, you'll see
that the upper, rear chassis brace kit, with diagonals between the upper and
lower horizontal tubes of that assembly, is the only way to properly brace the
rear of the chassis.

Mike (who has had one of those sitting in a box for a year, too lazy/busy
to install it, and making do with a square tube-stock adjustable bar instead,
which is much better than stock but not nearly as good as a proper setup)