[DeTomaso] question about adjusting power brake booster

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 13:57:48 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/2/12 7:18:52 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Can someone tell me how do you adjust the pushrod in the power brake
> booster?

Which one? The short outer rod that causes trouble in adapting other brands
of master cylinders is non-adjustable except with grinders, hacksaws or
welders. The inner one that goes between the diaphragm & foot pedal threads in &
 out once you remove the connecting bolt at the pedal. There is no direct
connection between the two.
In case its the short outer rod giving trouble, the idea is to slack off
the master cylinder nuts and closely observe the joint between MC and boster:
if the MC pops out a little, you will need to shim the MC by that much plus
a 'little' or shorten the rod by the same amount. A second problem
associated with the outer rod is when the adapter plate has a tight fitting plastic
guide-bushing in it. When the front trunk gets hot, everything expands but
the bushing is constrained so it squeezes inward, grips the rod and the brakes
stay on. The fix is to hand-ream the hole in the plastic a little larger.
I've done this to cars during club outings using a jacknife. Good luck- J
Deryke